|Vital Information for Your Everyday Life (at Boostle)
||[Aug. 4th, 2009|09:02 pm]
All Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, all the time!
Hiya, folks! It's your friendly neighborhood
Spider-Beetle-Mod, with some updates on general community stuff:
1. Tags. According to the poll I ran a while back, people seem to be interested in more specific tags for fanfic/fanart/what have you. So I've gone into the community tags and created a bunch more options:
- Character tags look like this: "character: [character name]," like "character: booster gold" or "character: guy gardner." I tried to include people I knew showed up in posts here a lot, but please comment on this post if you would like me to add another character tag. You can use these tags on any post - fic and art, of course, but also meta, news, scans, etc.
- Ratings tags look like this: "rating: [rating]" and go from G to NC-17 (although let's be honest, we only really want to be able to search for NC-17, amirite? *obnoxious elbow nudge*). Please use them on all fic and art.
- Creator tags were not on the poll, but that seemed to me to perhaps be the best way of searching for specific fic. They look like this: "creator: [lj name]"; for example, "creator: poisonivory." These can be used for fic, art, icons or other graphics, or fanmixes. They should not be used for all posts you make; do not tag yourself if you're just posting about a new Dan Jurgens interview. These tags are for creative endeavors. Please comment on this post if you would like me to add a creator tag for you.
Don't forget, we also have tags for news and merchandise, so please use them when you are announcing a new creative team or action figure or the new Official Booster Gold Slip 'n' Slide (oh, how I wish) or whatever. You can see a full list of tags here.
I am working my way through the community from the beginning, retagging all of the entries and adding character and creator tags when needed, but we just passed our fourth anniversary (happy birthday, us!) and it'll take me a while. If you know where your old posts are, please go back and tag them. It would make my life magical.
2. Memories. Misty watercolor memories...of the way we...*cough* You can also search by memories, people! This is why I am going to request once again that you title all of your entries, especially fic, art, and scans. If your fic post is titled: "Fanfic: The Adventures of Ted and His Magical Pony (Ted/Booster)" it will be a lot easier for people to find it and leave you comments telling you how wonderful you are. Those are always nice!
I am also updating the memories as I go through the community archives. I am not, however, going to give us more specific categories right now (with one exception, which I will get to in a minute), because, like, I have to go to work and sleep and stuff and can't re-memory all of our entries as well as re-tagging them. I am also going through the scans tag and cleaning out anything from scans_daily, which brings me to...
3. Scans. Since the death of scans_daily I've been waiting for the dust to settle before deciding on an official policy for posting scans here at boostle. They don't seem to be cracking down on any more communities, so here it is: All scans posted to the community must be friendslocked. Do not post more than one third of any given issue. Warn for spoilers if the comic is less than three months old. The usual rules about lj-cutting large images still apply, and don't talk about Fight Club. Use character tags. Once I've gotten through all of our archives, we should have a nice organized system for scans in the memories.
"Gee, Jess," you may be saying, if you know my first name and are given to saying things like "gee," "that sure sounds like a lot of work! How can I help?" I'm glad you asked! You can help, of course, by titling your posts and tagging your entries. But if you would like to help even more, and if you hang out at the new Scans Daily at IJ, you can also help by rounding up links to Beetle- and/or Booster-related scans and making a linkspam post of them. Please do not post linking to just one entry there! A general roundup, however, would be exceedingly helpful as a stopgap measure for those going through scans withdrawal. If you would like to do this, please comment here just to keep a bunch of people from all working on the same post.
4. That was boring. So as a reward for getting through all of that, I'm kicking off a new challenge (which I always mean to make a monthly thing, but you know how it goes). Because I don't have air conditioning in my apartment and it makes me sad, your challenge for August is the dog days of summer. The challenges are really just inspirational suggestions, so if that one gets your motor running, feel free to post fic, art, or what have you riffing on the theme!
In conclusion: If you need another character tag, comment here. If you need a creator tag, comment here. If you would like to volunteer to round up scans from IJ, comment here. If you have any questions or concerns, comment here. And if you want to do something for the challenge, for God's sake, what are you waiting for? Go!